Musical concept : Tempo Fast / Slow
Prerequisites : None
1. Fast Tempo : Traditional: Devil’s Reel, performed by Angèle Dubeau & La Pietà
2. Slow Tempo : Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 in A major, Op. 9: I. Poco sostenuto – Vivace, performed by the Orchestre symphonique
3. Fast Tempo : Frédéric Chopin: Minute Waltz (No. 6), performed by Richard Raymond
4. Slow Tempo : Gottfried Heinrich Stölzel: Bist du bei mir BWV 508, performed by Karina Gauvin
5. Fast Tempo : Georgy Shenderyov: Russian Dance, performed by Alexander Sevastian
6. Slow Tempo : Ludwig van Beethoven: Septet in E Flat major, Op. 20: II. Adagio cantabile, performed by OSM Chamber Soloists
7. Fast Tempo : Frédéric Chopin: Sonata No. 3 in B minor, Op. 58: II. Scherzo: Molto vivace, performed by Charles Richard-Hamelin
8. Slow Tempo : Reinhold Glière: Pieces, Op. 35 No. 10, Notturno, performed by Alain Trudel, Yannick Nézet-Séguin
9. Slow Tempo : Johannes Brahms: Lullaby, performed by Angèle Dubeau & La Pietà
10. Slow Tempo : Charles Ives: The Unanswered Question, performed by Ensemble Caprice
11. Fast Tempo : Jean Matitia: The Devil’s Rag, performed by Duo Gaulin-Riverin
12. Fast Tempo : Franz Joseph Haydn: Divertimento: III. Allegro di molto, performed by Stéphane Tétreault and Marie-Ève Scarfone
Setting the scene
Play the first game in the Mazaam app’s World of Chameleons module with the children.
“Today we’re going to play at being butterflies, just like in the Mazaam app. We’ll have to really watch out to not be caught and eaten by a chameleon.”
Ask them: “What does the word ‘tempo’ mean?” (Answer: It’s the word we use to speak about the ‘speed’ of a piece of
For example, sing the beginning of a song that all the children know – first slowly, then fast. Ask the children: “Can you hear the difference? The first time, I sang in a slow tempo, and then, the second time, I sang in a fast tempo.”
“In this game we’re going to move about like butterflies, flapping our wings to the right tempo. We’re going to flap our wings slowly and walk slowly when the tempo of the music is slow, and we’re going to flap our wings fast and move more quickly when the tempo of the music is fast. When the music
stops, we have to stop moving too.”
From the first game in the Mazaam app’s World of Chameleons module (play only the audio without projecting the app on the interactive whiteboard).
“Is the tempo of this piece slow or fast?”
Repeat with the following musical excerpts.
Do the activities in module 011B: Chameleon Food Part 2.
Play the second game in the Mazaam app’s World of Chameleons module with the children.