Musical concept Tempo : Fast / Slow
Prerequisites : The instructor and the children have played the first game in the World of Chameleons module (Module 011A) together.
1. Fast tempo : Aaron Copland: Hoe-Down, performed by Angèle Dubeau & La Pietà
2. Slow tempo : J.S. Bach: Concerto in D minor, BWV 974, after the concerto for Oboe: II. Adagio, performed by Luc Beauséjour
3. Fast tempo : Alessandro Marcello: Concerto for Oboe in D Minor, performed by Tafelmusik||
4. Slow tempo : J.S. Bach: Suite No. 3 in D Major BWV 1068: III. Air, performed by Tafelmusik
5. Slow tempo : Éric Satie: Gymnopédie No. 1, performed by Valérie Milot
6. Fast tempo : George Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue, performed by the Orchestre symphonique de Montréal, Alain Lefèvree
7. Fast tempo : Carl Binder: Overture to «Orpheus in the Underworld» (Jacques Offenbach): Allegro confuoco, performed by Angèle Dubeau & La Pietà
8. Slow tempo : Arvo Pärt: Spiegel im Spiegel, performed by Angèle Dubeau & La Pietà
9. Slow tempo : Maurice Ravel: Pavane for a dead Princess, performed by André Laplante
10. Fast tempo : Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No. 4 in B-flat Major, Op. 60: I. Adagio. Allegro Vivace, performed by the Orchestre symphonique de Montréal
Setting the scene
“After eating their fill, the chameleons now have to brush their teeth. We’re going to show them how to brush their teeth the right way. And we’re going to do it to the music!”
Ask them: “What’s the word we use to speak about the ‘speed’ of a piece of music?” (Answer: tempo.) “Do you know two words to describe the tempo?” (Answer: slow/fast)
“Just like us humans, chameleons need to prevent cavities by brushing their teeth after eating. But they don’t know how to do that, so we’re going to show them. We’re going to imitate brushing our teeth. When the tempo of the music is fast, we’re going to brush quickly, and when the tempo is slow, we’re going to brush slowly so that the chameleons’ teeth will be really clean.”
At the beginning of the excerpt, ask the children :
“Is the tempo of this piece fast or slow?”
Then make sure they brush slowly if the excerpt tempo is slow and quickly if the excerpt tempo is fast.
Do this module’s activity the same day as the visit from the dental hygienist to explain the best way to brush one’s teeth.
Play the third game in the Mazaam app’s World of Chameleons module with the children.